Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Denial...Moderation...Indulgence...Overindulgence

Well, Lent is over and we are finally celebrating Easter. We have moved from a state of denial strait into a state of indulgence which has caused me to think. Am I indulging or overindulging? What *is* moderation and what does it look like day to day? It occurs to me that most of society (myself included) generally maintains a state of indulgence to overindulgence so that what we call denial might really be closer to moderation. People spend an incredible amount of money on sugary snack foods, desserts and super sizing their fast food.

Let's assume that moderation is three square meals a day, maybe a couple of snacks with an occasional treat. Indulgence then is the same, perhaps a second helping at the dinner table and an extra treat or two. Overindulgence is eating way past full and partaking of foods with little to no nutritional value.
I definately have falled on the side of overindulgence in every day life, so after reflecting on all this, my goal is to stay closer to these desiganations within the Liturgical seasons (i.e. Feasts = Indulgence, Ordinary Time = Moderation, Pennitential = Denial). Right now we are in the season of feasting and that means I can indulge to my hearts delight. The trick will be not to go overboard. This also means that I can gradually work myself into this new way of thinking.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine T. Lauer said...

I need to stop reading your blog, Kori. I don't like how you are pricking my conscience.

8:43 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Wooooaaaahhhh....
I love this. I really do. Really. Wow...this is so cool!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Online Schools