Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Breastfeed in Public

In honor of World Breastfeeing Week(I'm pretty sure it's this week) I thought I'd write a quick post about this.

Here's the deal...My newborn nurses. My toddler also nurses. It's called Tandem Nursing. Yes, sometimes they nurse at the same time. I have two breasts. It works out fine. Yes, my pediatrician supports me. I don't know when Master J will wean. We'll see how he feels about it when he turns two. Even then, I don't intend to push the issue. The benefits of breastfeeding are pretty well known and I don't feel the need to restate them. If you don't know check out a few websites: http://www.kellymom.com and http://www.lalecheleague.org are two great places to start.

So anyway, when one of my babies needs or wants to nurse, I nurse. I'm not ashamed and to be honest, and especially if I'm in a private home (my own or someone else's), I'm not that discrete. My breasts are large and trying to completely cover them up while maneuvering a little baby or an active toddler is pretty much a joke. It doesn't bother me if someone catches a glimpse of something. It does bother me sometimes when people stare. I don't stare at people eating, they shouldn't stare at my littles. Of course there is the fact that Master J likes to wave at other people if their around while he's nursing. What can I say? He's a social eater. Ignore him. Or wave back if you want. I'm not embarrassed.

That's my story. I'm not sorry if it offends.

2 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Hi. I just "stumbled" here following the breasfeeding photos. Then I read your other posts and had to smile. You sound just like me 10 years ago. Two little ones, Dr. Sears taught me all I know, I thought I was the only Traditional Catholic who read Mothering magazine.

Currently I have seven children, I read Mothering in the store and don't buy it because of all the ?? things they promote. But, dang, I love their articles most the time. I homeschool, and am now an Eastern Rite Catholic. That is a long story, but I do love the Tridentine Mass. You crack me up. "Just assume we think you are wrong."

Anyway, just noticed you have a new blog, and wanted to be the first comment. Cheers!

12:41 AM  
Blogger tg said...

Hey, I'm not that discreet in a private home either. I love your blog.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Online Schools